Week 4: Growth Mindset

Late night thinking Source
Finish swiftly hindering obligations
Escape into yearnings of the heart
Lose track of time immersing into a world
Be moved by discoveries
Breathe life into an idea

- Originally from my personal blog

My plan was to give deeper look into this growth poem that I wrote. This takes the form of a personal statement to myself. I attempted to break down the process that I keep encountering to remind myself of what's next. 

Finish swiftly hindering obligations
- Completing homework, todo's, and errands to help clear my thoughts. Usually, I'm working on a project and can't help but think of the homework I should finish that is due the next day. "Hindering" for anyone can mean something different.     

Escape into yearnings of the heart
- Turn inward towards your passions to the projects you've been wanting to work on. Don't ignore or shutout what you really want to do and create. Escaping would be running from the daily routine of staying comfortable and not creating. 

Lose track of time immersing into a world
- This is when I am deep in learning and thought. A prime example would be learning about x and then looking up at the clock to find out hours have passed. Another would be ending up in a head space or place that is unexpected and beneficial.

Be moved by discoveries
- Allow what you learn to inspire you or move you to action. Be open to new opportunities and ideas. 

Breathe life into an idea
- This might be my favorite line. Countless times, we go through the above lines and then never get to here. Sometimes we do but never fully bring the idea to life. 


Unknown

Web Developer Intern at NextThought, Computer Science Stuent at OU | Interested in: edtech, edm, learning, coding, entrepreneurship | Co-Founder of Edcamp Stilly.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is such a good one, Josh! I haven't had time to make any very many new memes but just like usual I will be able to take some phrases and ideas here and use them for... catz!

    The one here that really gets to me is the time passing... I can lose myself in working on some kind of project for class and find that the whole afternoon has gone by, but I feel GREAT because of all the sense of stimulation and surprise and excitement. Have you read some of the stuff about dopamine? Apparently there are some kinds of brain activities (especially searching and discovering) that are dopamine-related: "Dopamine makes us curious about ideas and fuels our searching for information" (source).

    That can be a good thing or a bad thing I guess... for me, it's been a good thing. I was always curious about things, but now I can actually seek out the answers by going from book to book to book online, and not even notice the time passing!

    And that's one of the key things about growth mindset: IT TAKES TIME. I'm not sure I have a cat picture that will be able to express that idea of time. But I could use a clock. Oh, I should use Ahmed Mohamed's clock! YES! I see a new meme taking shape...

    ReplyDelete