Storytelling Week 7: The VC


VC Source

In Silicon Valley, we will watch the journey of four brother entrepreneurs. Each has his own venture that he is working on independent of the other. Success had been scarce recently for entrepreneurs in the area. Venture Capitalists (VCs) were eager to find the next break out company. All four of the brothers were in search of a place for funding because they had begun to run out of money. The youngest brother went out and found a VC. This wasn't a normal VC he warned you before taking his money.

He would ask you to go through a gruelling questioning before receiving funding. The youngest brother thought he knew exactly what to do with the money. However, shortly thereafter his company began to do a bit better but eventually would fail. The next brother thought he didn't know what he was getting into to. He told himself I have a MBA and know exactly where this money will go. Even though the same VC warned him not he took the money anyway. The same fate came up this brother as well. 

The third brother thought a bit differently and researched on his own. He talked to his family members and even his close friends. Once he felt that he could handle the investment, he went off to see the VC investor. Even with all of his preparation he did not listen to the investor and took the money thinking he would succeed. Though, he did last the longest of the two other brothers his company would eventually fail. 

Now, only one brother was left the oldest and wisest. He had begun and failed before and was an experienced businessman. His latest venture he knew would take off. They needed just a bit more to get over the hump. He went to the meeting have knowing all three of his brothers failed. He listened to the investor. After hours of back and forth, the investor knew this was the entrepreneur to break the valley out of its woes. The VC revealed himself in the form of Dharma, god of wisdom and justice. The eldest brother was granted two boons. On the first boon, he desired that his three brothers find success in their next ventures. In the last boon, he desired to fly under the radar as his startup finished up their research so they could come in the market stealthy. 

Authors Note:

I wanted to take another business spin on a story. I talked about the Riddles at the Lake. The VC was the lake and the brothers each died or at least their companies did for not answering the questions. However, the eldest of the brothers answered the questions with great wisdom. I am doing this in preparation for my storybook. 

Bibliography:
Riddles at the Lake. Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913). [700 words]

Unknown

Web Developer Intern at NextThought, Computer Science Stuent at OU | Interested in: edtech, edm, learning, coding, entrepreneurship | Co-Founder of Edcamp Stilly.

4 comments:

  1. Josh,
    I also wrote my storytelling post on The Riddles at the Lake! However, I did it last week. I absolutely loved your story! You are such a talented writer! I am not as pleased with how my rendition of the story turned out compared to yours. I really liked how you made the four brothers businessmen and brought in the idea of venture capitalism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh,
    I think this was a really good adaptation of the Riddles at the Lake. That was one of the episodes that caught my attention and thought I might want to write about. It reminds me of the bridge in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, if you've ever seen that. I like the modern twist you put on it. This made it easier to put into perspective and you did it without losing sight of the moral of the story

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh, That was an interesting story and I am glad I had the opportunity to read it. I really liked your version of the Mahabharata's Riddles at the Lake and I thought you did a good job making a backstory and spinning it into the modern business version. If only people would listen to their financial advisors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Josh! I enjoyed reading your story! I also did my story on The Riddles of the Lake for week 7. I like how you retold the story in your own words. I thought it was interesting and a great idea that you related your story to the business aspect. Overall I think you did a great job! I also really like the layout of your blog. It looks really cool! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete